Is It Time to Replace Your Roof?
What are the warning signs that a roof is failing? At Pruden Construction and Roofing, we’re frequently asked this question by homeowners concerned about their roof. Here are some indications that you need to consider roof replacement.
- Age. As a general rule, age is the primary factor that determines whether a roof should be replaced or repaired. If your roof is older than 20 years, the average lifespan of a shingled roof, it’s time to plan for roof replacement. While some shingles last longer, it is best to have your roof inspected by a professional when it has reached the 20-year mark – or if you have no idea of its age.
- Attic leaks. Water from wind-driven rain or melting ice can lead to attic leaks when there are problems with the roof’s underlayment or flashing. The number and history of leaks will determine whether we can repair the roof.
- Missing, cracked and curled shingles. A few shingles torn off by wind can be replaced on an otherwise solid roof. Extensive storm damage due to wind and hail, or curling caused by excessive heat in the attic due to improper attic ventilation, demands replacement.
- Granule loss. This issue may manifest itself as dark, dirty-looking patches on the roof caused by loss of the tiny ceramic particles that cover and protect the asphalt shingle mat. Over time, the mat begins to dry out and the granules are washed off into the gutter.
- Moss, mold and mildew growth. When moss grows on the surface of a roof, it traps moisture on the surface and speeds deterioration of the shingle material. Mold and mildew found in an attic can be signs of leaks or inadequate attic ventilation.
- Rot. Exterior decay along valleys, flashings, eaves and walls indicates long-standing problems with water leaks and possibly poor ventilation. Deteriorated wood must be replaced before the re-roofing process begins.
Remember: addressing roof issues promptly can save thousands of dollars in future repairs! If you notice any of the above issues, we encourage you to call Pruden Construction and Roofing to schedule an inspection. We’ll perform a full inspection and advise you on whether you need roof replacement.
Schedule an Inspection & Estimate Today
We want to provide you with all the information you need to care for your roof. Give Pruden Construction and Roofing a call today to schedule a free roof inspection and estimate. Call (479) 419-9500 or submit our online form to get started.